Analyzing an Historical Debate
For this assignment, you will analyze a historical issue from the second half of U.S. History
(Hist 1302 from 1877 to the present)
You will need to compare at least two opposing issues on that topic.
Part I. Introduction
1. Describe in general the issue that is debated:
For example, you may analyze the importance of this issue important to the
culture, economics, political system, or social structure at the time.
Part II. Historical Debate
2. What is the main argument in each perspective? On what points do
they agree or disagree?
3. Analyze the evidence that is provided to support each
thesis: What types of evidence are used? Does the evidence support
Part III. Conclusion
4. How did the reading(s) change the way in which you understood the
5. How are the issues presented in the reading(s) still relevant to you
today? Please explain how your personal background and life
experiences might influence your perspective on this topic.
6. Imagine that you have been asked to tackle a current national or
global issue. How would you use the readings to help you do so?
The paper must be a minimum of 500 words. Typed, double-spaced, using 12 point
font. The assignment will be uploaded as a file on Blackboard.