Human Factors in the Aviation/Aerospace Industry Reflection
Write with the following content: What was your #1 takeaway from this course, and how can you apply that knowledge to help you do your career better? Then write summaries of three of your classmates’ presentations (Chris + Deng + Veron) in one paragraph each, concentrating on the major points and how you can apply them. Throw back to each week’s module that we have been going through this semester:
1. Introduction to Human Factors
2. Sensation and Perception
3. Fatigue and Countermeasures
4. Human Information Processing
5. Design, Certification, and Training
6. Automation, Autonomy, and Artificial Intelligence
7. Teaming: Human-Human and Human-Machine
8. Accident Causation and Investigation
9. Presenting Research Findings
Chris + Deng – See attached presentation
Veron – https://tinyurl.com/y4shpkej
Human Factors in the Aviation/Aerospace Industry
Assessing Pilot Performance Under Different Impairment Conditions
The purpose of this final paper is to apply critical thinking skills to a problem in aviation/aerospace human factors and to demonstrate your ability to communicate your work in a professional setting. Your task is to develop a research project to investigate an issue or problem involving human factors in the aviation/aerospace industry. Hopefully, the topic will be inspired by some of the studies or issues that you will learn about in this course. Although you will not be conducting the study or investigation that you propose, you will construct a research design in APA journal format that is between 10-12 pages in length double spaced, not including title page, abstract, or references. Your introduction and background will explain the research statement or question and justify it by reference to previous research found in the scientific literature, and by logical argument. The method will describe data sources, participants (where applicable), variables, metrics, and procedures. The results should explain how you would analyze the data and the discussion should present possible outcomes and their applied implications. An essential aspect of this design, and the manuscript you write to describe it, is citing relevant research that supports your approach and explains the rationale used. The paper must adhere to proper APA style throughout (current edition). It must include:
Abstract – Pilots are often affected by different conditions in their day-to-day flights or flight-related activities that can lead to impairment. Each of the impairment conditions has a different level of impact on the pilot’s performance. In my paper, I will analyze various impairment conditions and attempt to evaluate the extent of the impact on the pilot’s functioning by each condition, and rank each of the impairment conditions according to its severity on pilot performance. Some of the impairment conditions that I will be analyzing include medication, alcohol use, emotions, stress, fatigue, illusion in flight, hyperventilation during flight, altitude, and illnesses. Data will be collected from existing literature about each of these impairment conditions and information on past aircraft accidents resulting from such factors. A meta-analysis will be used to combine results, findings, and conclusions of various researches relevant to the topic and draw conclusions based on these. The central null hypothesis of the research is that various impairment conditions have different impacts on pilot performance. The alternative hypothesis is that all impairment conditions have a similar impact on pilot performance. The key research question is: What impairment conditions are the most dangerous to aviation safety? How can they be alleviated to increase safety? And knowing the worst offenders, how do we alleviate these conditions?
Method: See the current edition APA journal article reporting standards for what to include. Include only the elements that apply to your type of project.
Results: Use this section to describe possible outcomes and what you would expect to be the most likely results.
Discussion: Use this section to discuss the implications of possible results, the strengths, and limitations of your design as well as directions for future research.
References: Your references should rely heavily on peer-reviewed journals.
Mesa Airlines Paper
You will choose an airline (Mesa Airline) that is home-based in the region that was assigned to you and write a critical analysis of the airline’s operation. The paper will cover the listed topics (as a minimum) in a paper of 8 to 12 pages (not including title and reference pages) in current APA format. Not: A paper of this length does not require an abstract or table of contents. Topics will include:
1. Introduction and brief history of the airline
2. Fleet analysis including issues associated with fleet composition
3. Critical analysis of the route structure (hub and spoke, point to point, or linear)
4. Cost control analysis including the use and effectiveness of various cost controls like fuel hedging
5. Profitability – historic and recent
6. The airline’s policies and practices to counter cyber-threats
7. Recommendations for improvement
Grading criteria for both papers above:
• Paper provides an effective introduction and a research problem that is related to the field of aeronautical science. It presents strong relationships between factors with accurate real-world examples. It develops a coherent, central theme that is expressed in a well-structured, organized, and logically-consistent manner throughout the assignment.
• Paper provides a comprehensive identification and analysis of key issues related to the select research topic or research problem. It designs an effective course of action to solve the proposed research problem using multi-disciplinary principles, if appropriate. The evidence comes from a wide variety of valid sources. The bibliography is complete and reflects the appropriate sources.
• Paper presents a well-supported argument based on relevant concepts and theories, providing new ideas related to the select research topic or research problem. Argument is logical and uses significant examples, evidence, research, and/or data from course content and from valid, external information sources throughout assignment.
• Decisions and conclusions are a result of analysis and synthesis of evidence. Formulates excellent resolution and recommendations. Conclusion includes possible consequences and outcome scenarios.
• Paper efficiently uses current APA guidelines in citations and references. Text is grammatically-sound and free of spelling errors and follows required formatting rules.
• Your paper will automatically be evaluated through Turnitin.