Description and bioethical analysis of:Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis PGD
What is Natural Family Planning (NFP)?
Describe the 3 Primary ovulation symptoms.
Describe the 7 Secondary ovulation symptoms.
Describe various protocols and methods available today.
Describe some ways in which NFP is healthier than contraception.
Bioethical evaluation of NFP as a means and as an end.
Read and summarize ERD paragraphs #: 38, 39, 42, 43, 44, 52:
38. When the marital act of sexual intercourse is not able to attain its procreative purpose,
assistance that does not separate the unitive and procreative ends of the act, and does not
substitute for the marital act itself, may be used to help married couples conceive.
39. Those techniques of assisted conception that respect the unitive and procreative meanings
of sexual intercourse and do not involve the destruction of human embryos, or their
deliberate generation in such numbers that it is clearly envisaged that all cannot implant and
some are simply being used to maximize the chances of others implanting, may be used as
therapies for infertility.
42. Because of the dignity of the child and of marriage, and because of the uniqueness of the
mother-child relationship, participation in contracts or arrangements for surrogate
motherhood is not permitted. Moreover, the commercialization of such surrogacy
denigrates the dignity of women, especially the poor.
43. A Catholic health care institution that provides treatment for infertility should offer not
only technical assistance to infertile couples but also should help couples pursue other
solutions (e.g., counseling, adoption).
44. A Catholic health care institution should provide prenatal, obstetric, and postnatal services
for mothers and their children in a manner consonant with its mission
52. Catholic health institutions may not promote or condone contraceptive practices but
should provide, for married couples and the medical staff who counsel them, instruction
both about the Church’s teaching on responsible parenthood and in methods of natural
current APA style.