Lecture 9 The Cold War
Read Chapter 25 http://www.americanyawp.com/text/25-the-cold-war/
Read Joseph McCarthy on Communism
Terms you need to be familiar with:
*What were differences in philosophy between the US and Soviet Russia?
*Why was Poland a source of contention between England/US and Russia?
*How were Containment, Iron Curtain Speech, the Truman Doctrine, and the Marshall Plan all related? How did Russia react to these ideas?
*What was the West Berlin crisis over?
*What two events happened in 1949 that terrified the US and made us go even more hardcore defense (NSC68)?
*Why did we get involved in Korea? What was the outcome?
*What were the new sources for super bombs?
*What was MAD?
*Why did Sputnik shock and petrify the US in 1957? What was our response?
Lecture 10 1950s America
Read chapter 26 http://www.americanyawp.com/text/26-the-affluent-society/
1. Why did the US economy take off in the 1950s?
2. What kinds of systemic racism did blacks face in the 1950s, and how did the Brown decision and the actions of people such as Rosa Parks challenge white racism?
3. How did Television change American culture?
4. Why was Rock and Roll so alluring to young Americans?
5. What did the Baby Boom demonstrate about gender roles and the US economy?
6. What was the Republican backlash to the New Deal?
Lectures 11 and 12
Read chapters 27 and 28 in www.americanyawp.com
Lecture 11 (use these questions to give you material for your summary)
1. How was JFK a metaphor for the 1960s?
2. What was the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962?
3. How did civil rights activists try to push for civil rights between 1960 and 1965, and what kind of resistance did they face (describe a few examples)?
4. What American leaders were assassinated during the 1960s?
5. What did LBJ try to accomplish through his Great Society program?
6. Why was Vietnam a Cold War failure?
7. What were examples of the counterculture? Briefly describe a few examples.
Lecture 12 The 1970s
1. Why were so many conservative Americans unhappy by 1968? Whom did they elect as President?
2. What was the outcome of the Vietnam war, good for America in 1973, and bad for America in 1975?
3. What were some of the major issues plaguing the country from the late 60s into the early 70s?
4. What was the basic idea in the Kerner Report? How did ugly racism erupt in cities such as Boston in 1975?
5. What were some of Nixon’s foreign policy triumphs? What was his downfall in 1974?
6. What was the oil crisis of the mid 70s?
7. What were the social issues that created a conservative backlash?
Assignment: 400-500 Word Essay, Double Spaced, size 12 font. In these two lectures we are looking at the turbulent 1960s and its aftermath in the 1970s. In your essay discuss how the Cold War almost led to our nuclear destruction as well as bogging us down in an unwinnable war in Vietnam. Also discuss how African Americans successfully pushed the civil rights movement and how this social reform movement spawned many other counter movements. In the second half of your essay, discuss how conservatives fought back against all the social change in the 1970s and how Johnson and Nixon helped destroy the prestige of the presidency. Also, briefly discuss what caused the economic downturn in the 1970s.
Purpose: This lesson will help you see the forces and event that thoroughly divided the weakened the US and spawned many of the issues that hinder us in 2021. This summary is to help the student improve their reading, writing, and analysis skills.
Lecture 13 the 1980s and Lecture 14 1990 to Now Summary
Read Chapters 29