Long Essay Assignment: Choose One (not the one you have done for the short
essay assignment). If you want to write to another question you must get my
1. Discuss the contribution of feminism to criminology. 2. ‘The rates of female crime and the types of crime women commit are a direct
reflection of the subordinate status of women’. Discuss. 3. ‘What evidence is there that law enforcement agencies regard male offenders as
‘mad’ and female offenders as ‘bad’
4. Why do young women become involved in gangs?
4. ‘Women’s involvement in sex work contributes to the continued oppression of
women in society’. Discuss.
5. ‘If women choose to sell their bodies in the market place, they should be free todo
6. ‘Pornography is just a bit a fun, it should not be legislated against’ Discuss.
7.‘Pornography is an insult to women and a major source of violence against them.Do
you agree with this statement. Discuss.
8. How has work on masculinity contributed to our understanding of why some menare
9. ‘The fundamental stumbling block of social intervention to prevent violence
against women is the existence of the private sphere’. Discuss.
10. ‘It is not the wording of the law which gives cause for concern, but the way ithas
been interpreted and reinforced’. Discuss this statement with reference to the criminal
justice system’s response to rape.
11. ‘Representations of sex crime victims tend to fall into one of two images – she’s
either pure and innocent, a ‘true’ victim or she’s a wanton female who provoked the
assailant with her sexuality’. Discuss.
12. ‘Effective implementation of equal opportunities policies in the police directly
conflicts with the cult of masculinity which is the driving force behind so much police
13. Discuss the difficulties women face in working in the criminal justice system.
13. Critically appraise the work of Andrea Dworkin or Susan Brownmiller or
Kimberle Crenshaw or Frances Heidensohn.
14. What is ‘honor killing’, how big of a problem is it and what should be done to
15. How big a problem is sex trafficking and what should be done about it?
16. What leads women to kill their batterers and how should they be treated by the
criminal justice system?