OverviewAn impromptu speech is given with little or no preparation, yet almost always with some advanced knowledge on the topic. When called to speak “off the cuff” on the “spur of the moment,” is usually because the speaker is quite knowledgeable about the subject. For example, if called on to speak in class, a student might give a short impromptu speech about a topic that was in the assigned readings. Business meetings also use a “check-in” to tell everyone else about a current project. In small informal meetings, the audience will interrupt an impromptu speech and ask questions, which helps guide the speech and the information that is presented. When campaigning, politicians sometimes respond to reporters or voters almost anywhere and at any time.
For this speech, you will be utilizing the impromptu method of delivery. Follow the directions below for the final submission of your speech.
Be sure to read all directions prior to getting started with this activity.
Prepare an impromptu speaking outline. Select a topic from this list of interesting impromptu speech topics (Links to an external site.).
Set a timer for 5 minutes, and start to prepare an outline. Make sure to not utilize any web searches or research. You should craft this outline with nothing but your prior knowledge of the topic that you choose.
Remember, utilize your specific knowledge and experiences when adding support to the speech.
Use an impromptu delivery style. Your credibility is established by how you present your speech, so you will want to balance looking at the outline and maintaining eye contact with your audience. For this speech, you should be looking at your outline 5-10% of the time, and the other 90% of the time looking at the audience.
Speeches must be 3-5 minutes in length. Speeches that are over or under the time limit will be penalized by a reduction of two points for every 30 seconds over or under time.
This speech is worth 50 points. Once you have recorded the speech, upload it, along with an image of your notes, to this assignment submission.