Part 1: Take the Index of Learning Styles Assessment online and write a paragraph about your learning strategies problem
To select a learning strategies weakness or problem, reflect on your performance as a college student and your Index of Learning Styles results. Then choose a topic to write about from the list below:
● minimizing cramming
● minimizing procrastination
● minimizing distractions
● minimizing stress
● note-taking in a specific class
● participating in a specific class
● participating in a study group
● preparing for a specific class
● preparing for a quiz or test
● taking a quiz or test
● reading your textbook
● using a specific study strategy or study aid, such as self-tests or visual organizers or mnemonic devices
Write a paragraph about one of the topics above. Address all of the following questions in your paragraph:
● According to the Index or Learning Styles how do you learn information?
● Do you agree with your Index of Learning Styles results? Why or why not?
● What is a problem or challenge you are experiencing in college? Be specific about the problem or weakness and the class(es) where the problem or weakness is present.
● Why do you have this problem or weakness? Did you have this same problem or weakness in high school? Is it related to a specific class/subject?
● What will happen if you don’t find a solution to this problem or improve this weakness? What are the potential short-term and long-term academic consequences?
Part 2: Research and write a paragraph identifying three possible solutions to your problem
Do some research to identify at least three possible solutions to help improve your weakness or overcome your problem . Look for strategies in your textbook, library materials, and websites. In your research identify three solutions that you have not previously tried.
Write a paragraph about the three strategies you find in your research. Address all of the following questions in your paragraph:
● What are the three possible solutions?
● Where did you find each solution (e.g. the exact page in your ACA textbook, any additional books you may have used, the full URL of the website)?
● What is one advantage of each solution? What is one disadvantage of each solution?
● Which one of the three solutions will you try? The last sentence of your paragraph should be a goal statement that specifies the solution you will use, including the class you will apply the solution to.
Part 3: Try one strategy and write a paragraph reflecting on how well it worked for you
Use the strategy you describe in your goal statement. Try it out at least two times making adjustments as needed.
Write a paragraph that analyzes the effectiveness of the strategy. Address all of the following questions in your paragraph:
● Did the solution in your goal statement work for you? Why or why not?
● How could you adjust the strategy to make it more effective in the future?
● How will you use the strategy in the future? How will you continue to work to overcome this problem or weakness in your learning strategies in the future?
● Write a new goal statement that includes a new application of the solution (for example, trying the same solution in a different class) or a different solution from your research.