1) Who is the goddess that appears to Telemachus in disguise?
2) What the goddess’s name whilst in disguise?
3) What is the name of the “ringleader” of the suitors?
4) Who is the warrior Telemachus first visits on his journey with
the disguised goddess?
5-7) What are Jacques Barzun’s three characteristics of a classic?
8) From whom does Telemachus learn of Odysseus’ whereabouts?
9) Where is Odysseus, when Odyssey begins?
10) How long has Odysseus been there ↑?
1) What is xenos?
2) What is xenia?
3) How many total years has Odysseus been away from home?
4) How many years has he spent with Calypso?
5) What was Odysseus’ arrangement with Calypso?
6) What does Barzun mean by Cultural Heritage, which he also calls
7-10) List four epic conventions. (See Iliad notes)
1-3) What are Barzun’s three characteristics of a classic?
4) What is the Phaeacian queen’s name?
5) What does her name mean? (See Iliad terminology)
6) Who is the blind bard singing for the Phaeacian feast?
7) How do the Phaeacians treat him?
8) What epic story does he first start to sing?
9) How does Odysseus react to it?
10) What is the first tale Odysseus tells the Phaeacians?
1) Who is Odysseus’ audience for his stories?
2) What does he hope to get from them?
3) Demodocus sings stories of the Trojan War. Which story
inspires Odysseus to tell his own?
4) How does Odysseus set up his storytelling. What does he do
5-7) In Books 10-12, name three obstacles in Odysseus’ path.
(Remember that the Cyclops is in Book 9)
8) Book 11, who prophesies to Odysseus?
9) Where does he receive this↑prophecy?
10) What herb keeps Odysseus from transforming into a pig?
(5) What is the significance of following Telemachus’ own mini odyssey
in the first four books of the Odyssey?
Why do the Phaeacians good to such great lengths to host Odysseus?
What is the effect that Odysseus himself narrates most of the famous stories we
know from the Odyssey?
What is the significance of the exposition Homer provides for Odysseus’ scar?
For Penelope’s final testing of Odysseus, why does she choose to reference
their marriage bed?