You are the nurse in the ER who is caring for a 25 years old female with altered mental status and is unresponsive. She was found unconscious in the collapsed condominium building in Surfside, South Florida with Vital signs HR 135, BP 101/60, Temp 102F, RR 5 and O2 saturation 87%. In preparation for caring for the patient you review the following orders:
1. Insert foley catheter to record strict intake and output
2. Insert 2 large bore peripheral IVs
3. Nonrebreather oxygen 8 liters, keep sats 94% and above
4. Keep patient NPO
5. NG tube for tube feeds, meds and irrigation
6. Morphine 2mg IV STAT
7. Potassium chloride 50 milliequivalents IV push STAT
8. Acetaminophen 500mg PO for fever
9. Consult airway team STAT
Inorder of priority which orders would you carry out (ex. 1,2,3,4) Briefly explain why.
Which order (s) would you question. Why?
Which assessment (s) would you do first?